Monday 22 February 2010

Yeasayer, Manchester Academy 3

Central singer moves his hands around, when he sings, like I do when I talk. I thought maybe I’d dance around on stage like him, if I were the singer of a band, which is a shame, actually, because his movements annoyed me somehow.

His vocals wouldn’t be out of place in a stadium rock band. This is not a bad thing.

The best part of the night is when, just after a chorus, all three singers let out a long harmonised scream.

The bassist, Gaz points out, looks like he should be in Street Fighter. He’s right.

The sound quality is impeccable, the clearest I’ve ever heard at a gig.

Clapping stings, feels like a needle underneath my nail, since someone tried to bite the end of my finger off.

When I get home, having enjoyed the gig, I want to send a song to Ben. But it’s impossible to pick one. Not because they’re all amazing, it’s just I don’t particularly like any of them, when I think about it. I enjoyed watching the band, and loved all the songs I knew, but sitting at home it’s only when all the songs flow into one noise I am most satisfied. Then certain parts stick out, grab your attention. But there is no one song that holds you. For me, anyway, this is how it is.

The support band is Javelin. They have a couple of 8 bit sounding songs I like a lot. They dance like they're genuinely enjoying it.
"Ok, next, you know who are coming on and they're gonna pour their hearts out for you." The Javelin singer says.

Yeasayer come out, and it looks like they enjoy themselves. But only the singer on the far left, the guitarist, looks like maybe he's pouring his heart out when he sings, which he does with a plain, modest manner.

1 comment:

  1. I only know one Yeasayer song, and the best part of it is ripped off from that much-maligned Jack White/Alicia Keys Bond theme.

    ReplyDelete